Catching Up... Christmas, New Years, Hospitals, Birthdays, Work, Family & Food

Wow… there is so much to catch up on that it’s almost overwhelming! I suppose I should start where I left off…

I’m bummed. Our Christmas Cards didn’t go out. They’re going out though. I spent a lot of time working on them, but with my crazy work schedule they just didn’t get finished. I’m not going to chuck them – they’re just going to be late (or REALLY early for this year! Ha ha ha ha!).

Christmas was wonderful. My family (Mom, Dad & Scott) were able to travel into town and join us for the weekend. Kimberlee and her boyfriend, James, spent Christmas with us, and Thomas spent most of Christmas Eve with us. I believe everyone was pleased with their gifts, and I most certainly was thrilled! I received many gifts that will be put to much use during the coming year: A Kitchen Aid Mixer, a new iPod Nano (in hot pink no less), and another volume of Beste stories. Though all of these gifts give me GREAT pleasure, the Beste stories might possibly be my favorite.

My mother, ever the legend in many things, has been compiling “Beste” stories for the last few years and has gifted each of us children the written (and therefore “accurate”) rendition of many of our childhood stories and experiences at Christmas. It is SUCH fun to read through her memories, recalling the various events – and of course reminding her of how they REALLY happened. If you’ve ever been a guest at a Beste family dinner, you’ve undoubtedly heard the legend of the Wheat Waffle and its ensuing twists and turns (depending on the story teller, and their memory – or lack of). I am ever grateful that she has taken on the task of writing up our various stories and experiences for us. I’ve enjoyed reading them and I know that the others who have been gifted with “Beste” or “Heather” stories have enjoyed them also.

The week between Christmas and New Years is quite a blur. I wasn’t feeling well on Christmas Day. I really couldn’t pin point what was wrong, only that something wasn’t right. However, with realizing the hours I’d been working, one logically assumed it was just exhaustion. My parents left to travel south to McAllen, Texas (to visit Bekki and her family) on Tuesday morning as I headed out to work. I still wasn’t feeling well; in fact I was feeling quite horrid. I started shivering uncontrollably as if I was cold (though the temperature in my office was quite toasty – more so than normal) and decided that I ought to go home.

Well…. Long story short… I ended up going to Urgent Care later that night because I still was feeling rather “off”. After the gals at UC freaked out a bit, they sent me to the local hospital for blood transfusions. I am anemic. Actually very anemic. I have iron deficiency anemia and I also have sickle cell anemia (yes, I’m a white girl with sickle – loooooong story). Normally, I know to take additional iron right before during “that” time of the month to cover any deficiencies. My body was so low that there wasn’t anything that Urgent Care could do – they can’t give blood. They can’t do anything for anemia except tell you to take iron supplements. So, the hospital kindly hooked me up, added some B12 in for good measure, and gave my body the cocktail it needed.

It’s amazing how much better I felt after the additional blood, and how much WARMER I feel. I have SO much more energy. I’ve been taking extra iron each day (SLOW release – thank goodness), and it’s made a world of difference. Granted, it’s killing my intestinal tract, but it’s definitely worth it.

I went back to work on Wednesday. I managed to physically work 52 hours between Wednesday and Friday. I took Saturday – Monday off and didn’t give work a bit of thought.

My family popped back into town on Saturday afternoon and headed back out Sunday Morning (we’re a handy rest stop!). It was great to get to visit with them and enjoy their company again.

New Years Eve was spent quietly at home – and it was delightful. Steve had to work, so I comfied up on the couch and watched all the television I wanted (interspersed with more naps).

Yes, I made my traditional announcement on Christmas Eve. It is a joke in our family (No, I’m not pregnant), I always announce the impending date of my birthday, or the next anniversary of my 29th birthday. It’s always 3 weeks (or 21 days) from Christmas. This year, on January 14th, I’ll celebrate the 3rd anniversary of my 29th birthday. It’s now a joke – but I can’t break tradition!

I think that’s the quick end of a catch up. I still have much more to update on including incredible Secret Santa gifts, tasty Christmas treats, Old Fashioned Fudge, and goals for 2007. I’ll try to find some time to get them written up and shared!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


Kristy said...

Heather! You poor girl! I'm so glad you found out what the trouble was. Take it easy a little, willya?

B said...

Heather, I am so glad you are feeling better! A white girl with sickle, that's intriguing! Genetics fascinate me. Happy New Year!

monicaintexas said...

Hey Heather, miss my DFW girls. You share a bday with my Meg.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are on the mend...that sounds really scary, sweetie!! I'm glad your girls took care of you and got you to the hospital. Your New Years Eve was exactly like ours and my favorite way to ring in the new year.
So you have a birthday coming....hhmmmm???