Monthly planning worked out BRILLIANTLY for us when I was working. I always had the ingredients on hand to make what we had planned out, and it saved us boo-kooz of money. However, now that I'm home all the time, I find the need to get out of the house.
While I do spend the majority of our "escape" time at local parks, sometimes going to the grocery store fills the need.
In my menu planning experience, I've realized two important things. It's important to plan "leftover" meals, if your family isn't large (mine is small), and if what you're making is more than your family can healthfully consume in one sitting. Scheduling the "leftover" night, eliminates the need to buy additional groceries/ingredients for another meal, and keeps things moving along in my fridge. (Rather than sitting there rotting away because I forgot it was there, or what have you.) Another option, if it works with your meal, is to freeze it and save it for later.
So, here's what I'm planning to serve this week! (I'm even trying to link to the recipes - or at least a recipe close to what I make!)
- Monday - Wendy's style Chili and Easy Cheesy Drop Biscuits
- Tuesday - Shepherds Pie (I'm planning to divide the pie into 2 9"x9" dishes so that one can be frozen for another day)
- Wednesday - Spaghetti and Meatballs with Garlic Bread Knots
- Thursday - Leftovers
- Friday - Grilled Salmon, rice pilaf, and steamed veggies
- Saturday - Crockpot Chicken Taco's
- Sunday - Leftovers or Pizza (whichever is available!)
Lunch Options - Chicken Nuggets, Panini's, Greek Yogurt with Fresh Fruit, Kraft Mac & Hotdogs, Sandwiches, Green Salad
Snack Options: Fresh Fruit, Vegetable Sticks, Goldfish Crackers, Applesauce, Popcorn
Dessert Options: Banana Pudding, Chocolate Chip Cookies or possibly even this Fruit & Berry Tart
So, there are plenty of options for all of our eating needs this week.
What are you planning to eat/cook this week?